Wednesday, February 12, 2014

She Grew! & Other Medical News

Back to the scale this morning for Little Miss, after one week of pushing the ounces and losing sleep (more on that in a bit).  I’m not totally sure what our pediatrician was looking for except weight gain, but Ruby hit the mark, weighing in at 11 pounds 9 ounces (she was 11/4 last week).  Final advice is to keep doing what we’re doing: aiming for 25 ounces a day to keep her on the up-side of the scale.
This, however, hasn’t been particularly easy.  You’d think it would be.  Our girl has been easy to put on a schedule, and she sticks to it fairly well.  BUT in order to make sure she’s eating enough, I have to interrupt her daytime naps.  Waking her during the day to eat, however, has somehow messed with her sleep at night.  I didn’t know for sure that the two were related, but I did a little experiment yesterday and, sure enough…I think I’m right.  Here’s the thing: I make sure she is eating every three hours during the day.  So if she’s asleep, I wake her up.  Thankfully this hasn’t messed with her mood,
but it seems to make her very restless at night.  I get up five or six times throughout the night to soothe her back to sleep.  After almost a week of this, I decided yesterday to not interrupt her sleep during the day to feed her.  She only ended up eating 20 ounces, but she slept like a rock last night.  So, there has to be a happy medium in here somewhere…she needs to eat, and she needs to sleep (and so do I!!!) so we’ll keep giving and taking here and there until we figure this thing out!  
In other news, Reed and I took a trip to the Urgent Care on Monday night.
In a matter of minutes, it seemed, he did a 180, from feeling and acting totally normal, to feeling not well at all.  He had a fever of 101.7, was coughing, complaining of leg pain and a sore throat, he didn’t eat supper (which is totally uncharacteristic) and fell asleep on the couch at 6:00.  Remembering the poster I had seen when I was at the pediatrician’s office last week, Reed had all the symptoms of influenza.  Pair that with a healthy dose of motherly paranoia, and I didn’t want to wait until the next morning to call in.  Long story short, his rapid strep test came back negative and was diagnosed with a virus.  By the time he woke up yesterday morning, his fever was gone and was in his normal mood.  I made him rest throughout the day as much as I could, and kept him on a routine of tylenol and motrin to keep the fever away.  Thankfully, it worked, and aside from a runny nose and sounding congested, he’s doing well.  {I did just get a call from a nurse at the Urgent Care, and Reed’s strep culture came back positive for Strep B.  Strep A is the normal variety that they treat with antibiotics and unless he isn’t getting any better, Strep B isn’t treated with meds.  You learn something new every day!}
And like all good children that share germs, I, too, have a runny nose and congestion.  Awesomesauce.  
I love being a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment